When a disordered gambler lives within a family, all those in the family are affected by the behavior of the disordered gambler. This workshop looks at how the progression of the disease impacts spouses and children, with some discussion of characteristics that those children may carry with them into adulthood.
By the end of this session, the participant will:
- Learn how the progression of disordered gambling impacts the spouse of the gambler.
- Explore some risk and protective factors for children in a home with disordered gambling.
- Understand some factors that influence a child’s risk of becoming a disordered gambler.
- Be aware of childhood effects of living with a disordered gambler that may influence their behavior as an adult.
- Phases of gambling (gambler and partner)
- Do’s and don’ts for family members
- Risk and protective factors for children
- Possible consequences on children