When a disordered gambler lives within a family, all those in the family are affected by the behavior of the disordered gambler. This workshop looks at how the progression of the disease impacts spouses and children, with some discussion of characteristics that those children may carry with them into adulthood.
By the end of this session, the participant will:
- Learn how the progression of disordered gambling impacts the spouse of the gambler.
- Explore some risk and protective factors for children in a home with disordered gambling.
- Understand some factors that influence a child’s risk of becoming a disordered gambler.
- Be aware of childhood effects of living with a disordered gambler that may influence their behavior as an adult.
- Gamblers, as well as family members, can experience a relapse.
- There are common relapse triggers to old behaviors/addictions.
- According to Dr. Lange, the number one relapse trigger is stress.
- With codependency, there are better behavior choices.
- Families, as well as Therapists, need good Self-care skills.
- Counselors need to watch our own Counter-transference issues.
- Participants assess the case of Joyce and her two adult daughters.
- All eight Family Treatment webinar topics are summarized.